In the past year, kitchen remodeling has been a top project for remodelers and it’s a wonderful way to enhance the value of your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before demolishing your existing kitchen cabinets and floors. Consider these do’s and don’ts to get the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the appropriate way:
- Conduct research to ensure the contractor you’ve selected is qualified for the job. Browse reviews online, ask your friends and peers for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor might be cheaper.
- Determine your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a specific finish or countertop material? Do you want to have appliances with the latest technology?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with sufficient storage and countertop space that matches your needs and the needs of your household. What is the purpose of your space? What do you use your kitchen for most? Cooking? Entertaining? Relaxing with your family?
- Keep all your receipts. Have them in a safe place to submit when filing your taxes or to use if you decide to sell your home in the future.
- Focus exclusively on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen functioning efficiently for many years.
- Forget to consider the budget! Keep on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are worth the most to you. We suggest budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you imagine you’ll need so you can cover unpredictable costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to consider windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can tie in an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important aspects of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and provide you a gateway to the outdoors, which can be beneficial when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are considering replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our professionals at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 269-215-4157, check out our Kalamazoo showroom or arrange an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you select the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.