There is a stage every Kalamazoo winter when you can’t locate the root of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be coming from a window that isn’t secured or sealed well. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and frosty, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help limit spending and reduce drafty air from entering your home, it’s critical to be able to identify where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some beneficial tips to pinpoint your Kalamazoo home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and breaks in strange areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the usual windows with functional means and use a painless visual inspection.
- Inspect to guarantee that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket near the functional portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Test the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only function as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Kalamazoo to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to concentrate on the source of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Kalamazoo a call at 269-215-4157 with any extra questions or prospective replacement needs.